Thursday, January 9, 2014

The Lines that Preceed the Magic

Yesterday. Oh Boy. Where to start? So just to give you the gist of my day yesterday, this was my schedule.



7:00-- wake up, pack the car, eat, head to check-in
8:30-- arrive at check-in, wait in lines
10:00-- arrived at my brand new apartment, unpacked the car
11:00-- went back to the hotel for the rest of our stuff
11:30-- got back to the apartment, unpacked the car again
12:30-- went to lunch at Sweet Tomatoes
3:30-- left to meet the bus to go to Casting
8:00-- finish casting



Looking at the schedule, it doesn't look all that busy, but basically here's how the day happened.



7:00-- No fire alarms, so that was good. I got all my stuff together and my roommate Lindsey and I packed all we could in my car and headed to Check-In.

8:30-- We got to check-in and presented all our identification to the first of many many people. We picked up our "Program Guides" and got in the first (and probably shortest) of many many lines. After standing in line for about half an hour, we found our third roommate, Rachel Kay. We eventually got to the first station, where we got our housing assignments. Thank goodness, we got the apartment we requested. They took our pictures for our housing ID's, gave us keys, printed our ID's, and then went outside to find out about our training classes and go over the basics of safety and all that goodness.


10:00-- Lindsey and I unloaded our car and picked our room and bed.




11:00/11:30-- We went back to the hotel and picked up the luggage that we couldn't fit in the car the first trip, came back to the apartment, and unloaded again.

12:30-- Rachel Kay and her mom were nice enough to drive us to lunch at Sweet Tomato, which was good. I'd never been before, so it was a little different. After that, I came back and unpacked some, made my bed and put all my clothes away. I still have some stuff left to put away, but I'm slowly getting there.


 
Mine and Lindsey's room
 
Our bathroom with a super cute Minnie Mouse shower curtain :D
Our Kitchen
Living room, with lots of space for activites

3:30-- Rachel Kay and I left to go to casting, where we spent the next four hours doing paperwork that could have been done in half an hour or so. But hey, half of Disney World is lines, right? So why is working here any different? It was a good experience though. We got to shuffle around and meet new people. Anyway, lines and lines and lines, and lines to get in lines, and lines and lines and meetings later, I finished casting at almost 8. Lucky for us though, Disney was kind enough to buy us all pizza. I suppose after this long working with college kids, they know how to speak our language.

Casting lines
Adorable Rachel Kay in line for casting

So all that was fun. Draining, but fun. I think one of my absolute favorite things so far is how personable everyone is. Every single cast member and college program student I've talked to has been SUPER nice, and everyone has a fantastic sense of humor. You can definitely tell it's a professional office and all that good stuff, but it's a great environment. Everyone gets stuff done, but has a great time in the process. I think working for Disney is going to be a wonderful experience.

Today has been fairly uneventful. When getting my paperwork together, I definitely forgot my social security card. So, I had to get up at 6:15 this morning to be on a bus at 6:45 to get a receipt that said I am indeed a US citizen with a social security number. So, I was done with that by 8:30ish, and back in my bed by 9. I woke up again about 11:30 and went to lunch. We had a housing meeting at 2, where they told us everything we've been told a hundred times before, and aren't really stupid enough to do anyway, but all the legal-ness, they told us again. After that, my roommates and I decided what we were going to do about dinner the next few days, made ourselves a list, and went grocery shopping like real, live grown ups. We even tried to cook dinner, but it kinda didn't work, so we picked up pizza like real, live college kids.

So, that's been the past few days. Tomorrow I get to get up for 3D imaging and be on a bus at 8:15, so it's probably going to be an early night for me. Hopefully I'll have some more pictures up tomorrow, and Saturday I'm hoping to have my maingate ID and go play in a park! Updates coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment