Friday, January 10, 2014

Frozen

Hello all. I hope you've had wonderful Fridays. For most of you, I'm sure you're preparing for a weekend of relaxation. Here in the happiest place on earth, the magic is just getting started. Just in case I don't have a whole lot of time in the upcoming days, this is what my schedule will look like:


Saturday: Traditions class 6:45AM-?
Sunday: Off
Monday: Training 7:30AM-6:30PM
Tuesday: Training 8:30AM-5:30PM
Wednesday: Training 8:30AM-5:30PM
Thursday: Training 8:30AM-5:30PM
Friday: Entertainment Welcome Session 8:30AM-5:30PM


Before I start explaining next week, here's what I've done since yesterday.


I went to bed at an embarrassingly early time, because I had to be up and dressed and in public at an ungodly hour. This morning was 3D imaging for character performers. We all found out who we're going to be friends with on our program, and I am happy to announce that I will be friends with Mickey and Minnie. My roommates will be friends with Dopey and Pooh, so we'll have a very diverse apartment. Anyway, 3D imaging was quick and painless as training goes. We went over to this hidden building in Animal Kingdom and they gave everybody a pair of tan socks. They then called us in one at a time and took our head, hand and foot measurements. They gave us each a dressing room and a tan leotard to change into, they took our heights and weights, and then came the scary part. They put us in this bodyscan machine that, in all honesty is a great invention, but is the most self-conscious ten to fifteen seconds you will ever experience. What it does is take literally every measurement on your body. Already you're standing in the middle of this room in a leotard, and then they put you in a box that accentuates every flaw and lump and bump and self conscious area and puts it up on a screen for everyone to see. Anyway. It only lasted about 15 seconds, and it was really not so bad, just nerve wracking. So after that, I came back and got some breakfast/lunch and hung out for a little bit. My roommates and I went to see Frozen this afternoon, and here's what I thought.




Frozen has been hyped up and talked about and ranted and raved about since the day it hit theatres, so I was expecting full Disney magic at work. I kept hearing all this great stuff about how it showed that sisters should stick together instead of swooning over the first guy they met, and I thought, great! The Disney movies released in the last few years (and by last few years, I mean all the way back to Pocahontas and Mulan), the princesses have been heroines more than classic princesses. They've been their own heroes. Mulan saved China, for crying out loud. Pocahontas saved her people, Rapunzel needed some help, but she got herself out of her tower, Merida saved her mother, even Tiana, who I generally don't like, worked for what she wanted and was successful. These girls didn't need princes. They didn't need rescuing. They had their challenges, they overcame them on their own. I LOVE the way Disney changes their main characters to be progressive and be outspoken and always be on the cutting edge. I just didn't feel that with Frozen though. Here's a trailer if you're interested. If you haven't seen it and are planning to, skip the rest of this paragraph, because it definitely has some spoilers. OK. Here we go. So, after all the sisters before misters stuff people were talking about before the movie, I was expecting this great relationship between the two princesses, Elsa and Anna. It turns out, they don't even really talk to each other that much. Anna is pretty much dependent on ANY guy, for the large majority of the movie. She and some prince get engaged after knowing each other for all of two minutes. When she goes to rescue Elsa, she meets this other guy who helps her rescue her. Then when the original lover man/fiancé turns out to be a bad guy, she goes running for the next guy because in typical Snow White or Sleeping Beauty fashion, she needs a man to rescue her. Only at the very very very last second, when she realizes her prince is too far away to save her does she jump in between the bad guy and Elsa. I don't know. It wasn't a selfless, sweet story to me. It wasn't a "Hey girls. You go be whatever you darn well please and don't let a guy tell you any different" movie. It's a "Hey girls. Get engaged to the first guy who shows interest, don't bother to get to know him, and then when he turns out to be a bad guy, jump to the next available hunk." Don't get me wrong, I have nothing wrong with hunks. But do I need one? No. Can I rescue my own butt? You better believe it. Can Anna? Not a chance. On top of all that, I wasn't particularly impressed with the soundtrack. There weren't any songs that I just wanted to get a hairbrush and belt in the shower. There aren't any songs I remember, actually. I wasn't particularly impressed by a whole lot. I have to give them Olaf though. He was a great part of that movie. He was funny and endearing, and although not necessary, he made the movie a whole lot better than it would have been without him.


So that's my opinion. Again, probably not the same as most of the opinions, but there it is. Like it, leave it, tell me what you think. It's worth the dollar if you see it at redbox, but I don't recommend the $10 to see it in theatres.


Alright, all. I have an early early morning, so I'll put up some more pictures and stuff tomorrow. Have a magical night, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment