Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Kisses at Midnight

Well, guys. 2013 is winding down. It's been a crazy year, and it's bittersweet to see it go. I know 2014 holds so many wonderful adventures for me, and I hope you're all looking forward to your own adventures. I can't wait to hear about them all. So, Fitting for New Years, I suppose, we have tonight my favorite kiss, first Disney movie I saw, favorite classic, and least favorite classic. Here goes.

Number 14: Favorite kiss
I honestly can't say I've ever thought a whole lot about this. I'm scrolling through movies in my head trying to think of which kiss is my favorite, and why. This is hard, because they all mean something. Disney does such a good job creating emotions in people, that every on-screen kiss is magic, and more than just any old kiss. They wake cursed damsels and save injured princes, they rescue princesses from evil stepmothers, say goodbye, I love you, and distance is only temporary better than any scripted dialogue ever could. Ok ok. I think I'm going to go with Carl and Ellie from Up. Most Disney movies end with the dramatic, tear-jerking, emotional kiss. Up starts with the emotion. Right off the bat. It's almost like they're showing off, like "Hey Universal and Warner Brothers and all you other film companies. Guess what. We can make our viewers cry in the first 10 minutes of a movie" and then all the other film companies are like "Nah, bet you can't." So Disney and Pixar get together and start scheming and then, bam. 8 minutes in, every single viewer is bawling like a baby, and they get to laugh and say they didn't even need the whole 10 minutes. But anyway. It's my favorite kiss because it's so much more than a kiss. It's an accumulation of their whole life together. They grew up together, and love each other as much as is possible. They bring out the best in each other. I mean, look at Carl's face in this picture. Ellie is so outgoing, and she brings out Carl's outgoing, fun side with stuff like that kiss. He's always just a little surprised by her, and he's a little slower to jump into things, but he's always more willing to jump when she's holding his hand. So, this is my favorite kiss because it embodies their relationship better than words, and, because it's at the beginning of the movie, you get to linger on that emotion for another whole hour and a half, rather than other Disney movies where the kiss happens at the very end, it's sweet for a minute, and then you move on with the rest of your day.


Number 15: First Disney movie
Haha. This is one I ought to get my mom to answer. My very first Disney movie was Pinocchio. I owned it on VHS and I watched it over. And over. And over. And over. My parents to this day can recite every word. I can't say I remember watching it so many times, but I've heard the stories, and I do remember loving it so much I wanted to name my newborn baby (girl) cousin Pinocchio. Lucky for her, my parents talked me out of it.


Number 16: Favorite classic
This one was tough, but I think Pocahontas is my favorite classic. Pocahontas is an independent, smart, well spoken young woman, and I think she's a good role model. She's her own hero, and her people's hero. She doesn't need a prince to save her, or anyone else. Sure, having John Smith wrapped around your finger doesn't hurt, and she loved him, but she doesn't NEED him. She can do everything a man can do, she can do it on her own, and I'm sure that given the opportunity, she could do it better than any man, and in heels.


Number 17: Least favorite classic
Eeeeh. Sleeping Beauty? I never liked her a whole lot. The movie was just kind of slow, and other than having three fairy godmothers, she was never one of those princesses that I wanted to be. I also learned recently that she only has 18 actual lines in the movie, she's only in the movie for a total of 18 minutes, and her last line is 39 minutes into the movie. I'll have to watch it again to see for myself (I have a sneaking suspicion I'll have an opportunity coming up in the near future), but I guess it makes sense.





I hope everyone is ringing in the new year by doing something fabulous. Have a wonderful 2014 everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment