Saturday, December 28, 2013

Playing Catch-Up

I missed yesterday, so today I'm doing numbers 7,8,9 and 10 on my countdown list.

Number 7: Favorite sidekick
OHMYGOSH I love this. Mater. Definitely Mater. I've been trying to stick to classic Disney movies, but Mater wins this category hands down because he's just the perfect sidekick. A steadfast friend, a faithful companion, and a good distraction when things get tough. He teaches Lightning McQueen that there's more to life than going fast. That sometimes, it's nice to slow down and take in the things around you. He's always up for an adventure, and will go wherever Lighting needs him, whether that's helping in the pit in the Piston Cup, or solving mysteries in Japan. He's caring and loyal and everything a best friend and sidekick should be. A shoutout here to my very own Mater, my best friend, Jen. She's pretty much the best thing since sliced bread. She's always there to tell me to slow down when I get way ahead of myself and to get me up off the couch when I'm being a party pooper. I've known her longer than my sister has been alive, and she may as well just be my sister. She's going to be helping me drive to Florida because no adventure is complete without her, so I'm sure come January 7th we'll have plenty of wacky stories and photos for you from our road trip. The picture below was taken in front of Mater with Jen on our Disney trip for my 18th birthday. Jen had mono and barely made it out of Magic Kingdom (like I said, always an adventure), but it was a pretty fantastic trip overall.

 
 
 
Number 8: Favorite Villain
Gosh. How do I pick a favorite villain? I guess I've never really thought about it because who has favorite bad guys? I guess if I had to pick, I might pick Gaston, because he's not a bad guy so much as someone who doesn't really understand the Beast, or why Belle likes the Beast and not him, despite his rippling muscles and persistent advances. I mean, sure, he leads an attack on the castle, and tries to kill the Beast, but I still maintain that it's because he's one of those people who thinks his way of life is right and doesn't really understand people who are different from him.
 
 
 
Number 9: Favorite Original Character
My first thought with this was, "well, aren't they all original characters?" And then I realized, no. They're not. Most Disney movies were based off fairy tales or stories told in different cultures. So, after some research, I've decided that, even though Up is roughly based on Larry Walter's lawnchair flight, Russell is definitely an original character. I picked Russell as my favorite original character because he's just an interesting person. He's sweet and kind, and he just wants to help in any way he can. He is a Wilderness Explorer after all, and a Wilderness Explorer is a friend to all, be it  bird, or fish, or tiny mole.
 
 
 
Number 10: Favorite Song

 So, I watched Pocahontas the other day, and I remembered just how much I love the part in "Savages" where all the men are singing the "savages, savages, barely even human" and she's running singing about the drums of war and all that, like a duet. It's really pretty, and a really interesting duet. Most of the time with duets, they're kind of singing about the same things, even if the melodies/words are a little different. In this song, they're opposing ideas, and the music reflects that. They're on opposite sides, and aside from the actual words they say, Pocahontas' song is drastically different from the style in which the men going to war sing. They're both determined to win, and they're both preparing for what they know will be an uphill battle, but the song each sings conveys their way of thinking in a way that's just brilliant. Pocahontas is singing about cooperation, and peace, while the men (on both sides) are singing the same song, preparing themselves for war and "knowing" their opponent's way of thinking is wrong. I think it's just super well done and captures what they writers are trying to convey better than any dialogue could. Here's a link to the song on YouTube, in case it's been a while since you saw the movie: Savages
 

Who would your sidekick be? Do you have a favorite villain? Be sure to post your favorites in the comments!

1 comment: