Thursday, November 7, 2013

Why The Heck Not?

    After my audition in Charlotte, I started to get pretty excited about the prospect of working for The Mouse. I started researching the apartments and things to do in the area, concerts that are going to be close by, how much season passes to Universal are (more importantly, which of the season passes is the best deal), who I want my roommates to be, the list goes on. Basically, I've had Disney on the brain for the past month and a half. I had my Disney dashboard open on my phone 24/7 waiting for it to update. The people in charge of the audition said their meeting to discuss who had gotten character performer jobs and who hadn't was October 16th, so I was expecting my application status to update pretty soon after that. The 16th rolled around, no word. The 17th, surely they'll update it. No word. The days kept getting longer.

    A month or so goes by and I had heard nothing. I was starting to assume that I hadn't gotten the job. Why else would it take so long? And then, Tuesday, October 29th, I was in my dorm between classes getting ready to leave and I got an email from disneycareers.com. I couldn't help but hold my breath opening it.
Congratulations! You have been extended an offer with the Disney College Program.
YES! Click this link to see the offer you were extended. I clicked the link.
Congratulations! You have been extended an offer at Walt Disney World, Florida.
Click the link to see what job you were offered. I clicked the link again.
Congratulations! This is your candidate ID. Click the link to see your job offer.
I clicked another link.
FINALLY. I had been offered a job as a Character Performer. Awesome!

   I was so excited and there was nobody around to tell. I called my mom, no answer. Called my dad, no answer. Jesus. Is nobody talking to me today?? I called Mom again. Finally she picked up.
Guess what! Guess what!!
What?
Guess who's going to Disney World!!
The excitement commenced. I walked into class and sat down and, as luck would have it, Pop called me back. I told my professor I had to take the call and bounced into the hallway.
Guess what! Guess what!!
What?
I'm going to be Minnie Mouse!
More excitement. I went back to class and my brain started working. Never a good thing. Do I really want to do this? Do I really want to be gone for that long? I'm going to miss a whole semester. I started thinking waaayyyyyy too much about waaayyyyy too many things.

   And then it hit me. Why the heck not? I have nothing to lose. The worst that can happen is I hate it and come home. That's it. So, why the heck not? October 31st, I hit the accept button.

1 comment: