Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Getting Started

Applying to the Happiest Place on Earth



     Scrolling through my Disney College Program news feed, I see people posting about writing blogs while they're in Disney, and, the follower that I am, that seemed like a pretty good idea. So here goes mine. My Disney Adventure.
     Sitting in my bed about 3AM one night, I started thinking about what I was doing with my spring semester, and since all the best ideas hit at 3 AM, of course this one was brilliant. We had just gotten back from Disney World, and, I started thinking, what the heck? I'll apply to the college program. The worst that can happen is they say no, right? So at 3AM, I pulled out my computer and got started. By 4 I was done, and was hitting the submit button. The next morning sitting in class, I got an email back and, what do you know, I got a web interview. I'm guessing that just means I'm not a criminal and I'm enrolled in college classes, so I pass the first screening. I resisted the temptation to completely ignore my professor and do the interview right then and there, and later that day I sat down, did the web interview. Not a minute after I'd submitted it, an email bounced back and gave me a phone interview. And so the waiting started. I signed up for my phone interview and sat back.
     A week or so later, the day for my phone interview rolled around and I had been in bed sick all weekend. It was a Monday, and that day I had been in the Student Health Center all morning. I walked into my dorm and my phone rang. I did my best to sound like I wasn't on my deathbed, I tried to be polite and funny and considerate and all the things I see in Disney cast members. I mentioned my interest in being a character, and my interviewer told me about an audition the next weekend in Charlotte for character performers.
     And so it began.

No comments:

Post a Comment